Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Wedding Girl - Madeleine Wickham




So as I mentioned, my favorite author is Sophie Kinsella. And on her earlier books, on the start of her career, she wrote as Madeleine Wickham which is actually her real name! So she did the unusual and started with her real name and then changed to a pen name! I was surprised, but she said she did so because she changed her style of writing when she wrote under the name of Sophie Kinsella. And I think the last book I read from her as Madeleine proves that a little.

So going on to the actual book. The Wedding Girl is not one of Madeleine's best book. I adore her but this book was an off turn for me. Basically it is about this girl who married an ilegal imnigrant so he could stay in the country and date this gay guy. And then she never gets a divorced and 10 yars later she is about to get married again! She explains that she felt that since no one knew it was if it never happened! Who thinks like that? Really?

And as usual everything just turns into a big mess. What I didn't like is that this one was a bit of a telenovela. Not good. But if you like really dramatic things, with problems over problems I think this book wouldn't be so bad to you. I have nothing against a good drama but this was a bit over the top. Besides this book had some mistakes due to the lack of research/knowledge. For example she didn't marry on the church on her first marriage so technically the church shouldn't nose around about it and neither did she "say her vows and tainted them" since all she did was sign on a piece of paper. Well if you read it you will know what I mean. I don't really want to give out everything about it.

Overall it did keep me from getting bored but not my favorite so I'd give it 3~3.5 st

No comments:

Post a Comment